Friday, January 8, 2010

The unplanned nude

I received a call in 2006 for a gentleman to have head shots taken as he wished to become a model for a local University’s art department. We agreed upon a price and a date.

At this time my studio was located in an apartment over the garage on our property and I did most of my shooting during school hours and therefore was alone much of the time. So, in many ways this is a cautionary tale, as this particular situation did not pose a threat but in many ways was a dangerous situation. My client arrived that day as all my other clients do, he was an older man in his fifties and normal looking. I had set up that day for headshots; however, when my client arrived he also indicated he would like some full length shots. My wider lens was over at the house, and he stated that he would change while I went to get it. When I got back to the studio, I had a gentleman without attire waiting patiently for me to return. Nothing….not a stitch.

I (calling on every ounce of professionalism I could muster), kept a straight face and asked him if there was a mistake? Because… he hadn’t mentioned wanting to do a nude session and those are…well (whats 5 times….), yes… more money …. He agreed to pay the difference. I pulled myself together, focused on lights, and posing – keeping to the classical lighting techniques taught by Clay Blackmore, full face, 2/3rd’s, profile, ect. All the time keeping a straight face and doing a good job.

After he left, I slowing sat down on the floor, wiping the tears from my eyes, laughed myself silly. And for years after this I have often been asked how I could ignore the ‘elephant in the room’, I reply…. “it was NO elephant.”

Lesson Learned – We developed a portrait session contract much like our wedding contract to be certain we have covered all bases with our clients as far as the session expectations. This has helped so much!

No comments: